Monday, June 16, 2014

The Way to a Man's heart...

...Is through his stomach.

I heard this old adage all my life, and Southern ladies proved it’s true. If you want to impress a gentlemen caller, bake him a pie. The kind you make depends on the impact you wish to evoke. Each variety can arouse a unique response.

  • Buttermilk pie: This smooth, silky pie says to its eater, “Hello, I’m sweet and simple. I go down easy, but I’m a little unsophisticated.”
  • Apple pie: Use firm, tart apples and this pie evokes an all-American wholesomeness reminiscent of one’s beloved and recently deceased granny.
  • Pecan pie: With its rich, dark and gooey nuttiness, this sweet treat whispers gently to its recipient a mouthwatering love sonnet, a beautiful poem written with corn syrup and sugar upon a flaky crust. If you think this suitor worthy, a fresh-baked pecan pie is the pie you’re after.
  • Fruit cobbler: My greatest success was a result of fresh-picked peaches, cherries or blackberries lovingly placed over a tender, flaky crust and covered with a lattice-work of crust strips sprinkled with sugar and cinnamon. Served warm and topped with a scoop of vanilla ice cream, a serving of cobbler inspires awed appreciation every time.
I’m living proof of the success of pies. I’ve created hundreds. We celebrate our 64th anniversary in August.

No comments:

Post a Comment