Tuesday, May 13, 2014

Praise and Pans

Pride and Prejudice was only half the story.

Jo Baker has created an irresistible answer to Jane Austen’s classic. Her novel, Longbourn, takes us beyond the drawing rooms of rigid Regency England during the Napoleonic wars, into the domain of the stern housekeeper and starry-eyed kitchen maid. The characters are totally believable and we learn to sincerely care about them.

My preferred genre is mystery/suspense, but my resolution for 2014 was to try new titles and new writers. Longbourn was a lucky choice. Who knew?? Baker creates a vivid, fascinating story of life in the servants’ hall. Her construction and placement of words causes me to wonder if we use the same alphabet. This book rates four stars.

After the euphoria of Longbourn, I picked a lemon – Pines by Blake Crouch. Classified as a “thriller,” I found it horrifying and repulsive. The same plot wound round and round and a satisfactory solution was beyond hope. By chapter four, I thought I’d made a bad choice. But I slogged onward telling myself it would get better. It didn’t. I stopped struggling at chapter twelve. I cannot finish this book.

On the bright side, I’ve found several writers whose work I recommend. Among them are two fellow Texas authors – Caroline Clemmons and Les Coalson. Clemmons writes contemporary romance with a western flavor. Her characters are vivid and memorable. Coalson cares. His books are studded with resources that must be preserved and people who strive to accomplish that goal. Conservation facts are woven into a very good story.

I recently read three books by Todd Borg. A Dalmatian named Spot and his owner live in the Lake Tahoe area and make a great detective team. They solve many mysteries, and I found them entertaining. A friend said Borg’s style was reminiscent of Dick Frances, but no one writes like Dick Francis.

Two female authors new to my realm are Kathy Reichs and Lisa Scottoline, but they’re not for the faint of heart. Their heroines are brilliant career women and forces to be reckoned with. They are prolific writers, and I heartily recommend every book they’ve written.

I still enjoy my old friends – Dana Stabenow and Nevada Barr. I’ve read all of their books published to date and hope amazing stories continue to pour from their pens. Sue Grafton is always good for a light, uncomplicated read. However, she is near the end of the alphabet and may retire after “Z.” Janet Evanovich’s books are fun and witty, and I read them, but they’re a trifle smutty. I do not read erotica.

Lillian Jackson Braun’s “The Cat Who…” books offer clean, uncomplicated comfort and fun. I read them years ago but still pick one up to be amused again.

Never stop trying different genres and unfamiliar writers. For every Pines there are 100 Longbourns.







No comments:

Post a Comment