Saturday, August 31, 2013

Book Review: The Immortal Life of Henrietta Lacks

The Immortal Life of Henrietta Lacks by Rebecca Skloot 

This book destroyed my complacency and kept me up nights. It’s not a warm-fuzzy, feel-good book. For three years I refused to read it even though it’s prominently recommended on a reading program that I participate in. Finally I gave in to curiosity. From intro to end I waffled between approval and scorn; compassion and resentment; sympathy and impatience, with anger at the injustice of Henrietta’s life being the primary emotion. I was furious at her husband and various extended relatives, but she loved them all.

It opens in the 1940s when racial segregation ruled, even in Baltimore. I cheered John Hopkins Hospital for treating her advanced cancer, knowing she had no money or insurance. Yet many medical facilities and personnel became wealthy from the study and research of her healthy cells as well as the cancerous ones. Fame and fortune was made from her living cells, but she never even knew they had been harvested. No one sought her permission. Through their study inestimable benefits blessed the world. Millions of her cells, known as HeLa, still flourish in labs all over the world.

I felt appreciation for the skill and intelligence of the doctors and researchers whose dedication helped stop polio. Their vaccine protected my own children. Henrietta gave scientists a lifetime of work toward preventing and curing cancer, of understanding viruses and wiping out many diseases. Her cells led to discoveries in the fields of in vitro fertilization, cloning, human genetics and a multi-billion dollar industry selling human biology materials. Yet none of the proceeds were shared with Henrietta or her family.

The book raises important issues regarding science, ethics, race and class. You cannot read it and remain untouched. But if you are intrigued with both scientific and human interest elements, this book is for you.

Would I recommend it? Absolutely!

Find it in Amazon!

No comments:

Post a Comment